RESPONSIBLE TO: Executive Director
- Has a sincere love for the Lord and a desire to see campers come to know and grow in Him.
- Is in agreement with Good News Camps philosophy and policies.
- Is eager to learn, loves campers, and shows a consistent walk with God.
- Is willing to forego personal rights for the common good of the camp and campers.
- Is flexible and able to work with campers and other staff members.
- Training and experience in various areas of program activities.
- College student or at least 19 years of age.
- Good character, integrity, enthusiasm, sense of humor, adaptability and self-control.
- Shows ability to supervise people and make scheduling assignments.
- Ability to coordinate the many facets of camp programming and the people necessary to implement.
- Desire and ability to work with children.
- Ability to relate to one’s peer group.
- Possess the strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of camp staff and campers.
- Have the physical strength and stamina to set up, supervise, and maintain all the program areas and functions.
To plan, direct and supervise the overall programming of the camp life in light of our objectives and values.
- Plan and implement the daily program for all Good News Camp sponsored camps, plus any other activities as assigned through participation where possible or through delegation when appropriate.
- Maintain good communication between the program and other camp departments, keeping others informed of procedures, plans and activities related to this position.
- Conduct an initial and end-of-season inventory; purchase and maintain equipment necessary for camp programming.
- Assist in the training of all staff who are responsible to this position.
- Teach staff during staff training how their roles fit into the overall picture of the camp and also inform them of their responsibilities during each scheduled activity.
- Be responsible for the health, safety, and general well being of campers.
- Coordinate meal times with regards to; announcements, starting on time, and special events/themes.
- Make cabin assignments of campers and assist during the registration process to ensure that all campers have been introduced to their assigned counselor.
- Coordinate the scheduling of electives for the various camp weeks, the proper staff to instruct them, and supervise the camper sign-up for their desired electives.
- Maintain records in order to provide proper recognition of campers for electives they participated in and other special awards the camp offers (individual cabin certificates, Paul and Barnabas Awards, etc … ).
- Evaluate current camp season and make suggestions for the following season.
- Set up program areas prior to the opening of camp.
- Handle discipline problems of campers and those involved in programming, consulting with the Director when necessary.
- Assist in the enforcement of camp rules and handling discipline problems of campers and those involved in programming, consulting with the Director if necessary.
- To plan schedules and rosters for counselors including job assignments, cabin assignments, time off -and days off.
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and other duties may be assigned as required.
- Meet with Director to discuss the proposed program schedule for following camp week by Wednesday evening.
- Weekend schedules of staff leaving and returning.